Scripture Text: John 3: 31-36
Tonight’s message brings up several questions about the man named Jesus in the Bible. Is Jesus really worth all the time, finances, and effort that have been given to make Him known to the world? Is there really a difference in Him and other religious leaders and influential people? Is it worth our time to consider Him as pertinent to our lives? Is Jesus superior in understanding life and why and how it should be lived? That’s the focus of tonight’s study.
I. The Superiority of Jesus (vss. 31)
Other scripture references : John 5: 38-39,Matthew 11
II. The Things That Make For The Superiority Of Jesus (vss 32-35)
- (vs 32) Jesus has had direct contact with the Father and His purpose. It is not second hand or mere conjecture. Jesus had knowledge of the things no one apart from God have known. He knew the plans of God.
- (vs.33) Those who have accepted the testimony or teachings of Jesus have found them to be trustworthy and godly, and with their words and lives give affirmation to the truth of God. The lives of people He touched turned out to be better lives than if they had never met Jesus.
- (vs. 34) Jesus speaks the words of God, because the fullness of God’s Spirit is in Him. In John 12:49, Jesus says, “For I have not spoken on My own, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a command as to what I should say and what I should speak.” Jesus claims His teachings are all directly from the heart of God.
- (vs. 35) In this verse we are told ” The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hands.” Jesus has authority over everything. He is able to heal people, to multiply food for the hungry, to calm the raging sea and wind, He can raise the dead, and He has the authority to forgive sins, Jesus proves this authority by literally doing all these things publicly! Who else has ever made such claims and then backed them up by His actions an His life?
III. The Benefits Of Accepting The Superiority Of Jesus. (vss. 36)
- We have already learned in vs 33 that those who accepted the testimony of the Lord had already found them to be true.
- We are told in this verse that “the one who believes in the Son has eternal life.”Eternal life does not just mean they will live forever, but that they will live a superior life, literally the life of God. That is , life lived in the presence and truth of God.
- We see the benefits by knowing the difference between believing Jesus and the other option. If we refuse to accept the superiority of Jesus, we do not see the special life in the presence of God. If we refuse to accept the superiority of Jesus, we inherit the results of fighting and agonizing war against God that goes on and on.
This passage is the statement of belief on the part of the Apostle John and those with whom he associates. John knew Jesus on a very close and personal level. He had heard Him teach and seen Him work. He is a witness who is unashamedly offering it as a truth that can change your life. In the end, you will have to prove or disprove the superiority of Christ.