Scripture Text: John 4: 46-54
Introduction: This is a story many of you are familiar with, but I think we can add a little understanding about the issue of getting help from Jesus. Now I realize that those of you who are Christians already know that Jesus loves you and He has opened the way for us to pray and let Him help us. However, I think there are some important steps in the process of receiving what I ask for and I would like to share those with you in this message.
I. The approach In Asking For Help From The Lord. (vss. 46-47)
A. Make the effort to pray earnestly. (scripture evidence)
- Cana is just north of Nazareth and where Jesus had attended a wedding and turned water into wine, (because they had run out of wine). The official came from Capernaum and was desperate to see Jesus.
- He was a royal official whose son was ill, came seeking Jesus in order to heal his son.
- He humbled himself. The official “pleaded with Him.”
- The official made clear his case. He asked for nothing else except for the healing of his son.
B. Reasons why we don’t get what we pray for immediately.
- We are not convinced enough that Jesus can do what we ask so we don’t do whatever it takes to seek Him.
- We don’t make confession of our inability to get done what we need done.
- Often when we pray we aren’t sure what we want to see God do.
II. Son’t Become Discouraged If It Seems God’s Not Listening. (vss. 48-50a)
A. The first answer from Jesus seems uncaring.
B. There are times when we pray like our prayers can’t get past the ceiling.
III. Believe What The Lord Tells You- Even If You Haven’t Yet Seen It. (vss. 50b-53)
Additional scripture references: Matt. 7:8, Matt. 6:33, John 14: 12-14
Conclusion: The official in our story had never met Jesus before, but he had heard about Him, so he sought the Lord out and presented Him with the deep need of his heart. And the mercy and love of Jesus settled the man’s heart and gave him his Heart’s desire- the life of his son. Today, if you have a great need and you have now heard of Jesus, seek him out. Don’t be discouraged if there is difficulty along the way and don’t quit asking for His help. When He gives you the word, receive it and live in gratitude, and your life, as it was meant to be, will be restored to you by His mercy.