Scripture text: I Kings 3: 16-27
Introduction: A story about two unwed mothers may seem a bit unusual as a message about good parenting, but God thought it was appropriate and so we will examine it ourselves. In our text, the primary focus is on God’s faithfulness in granting Solomon’s request for wisdom. Its secondary focus, and our immediate interest, is how Solomon’s wisdom points out and responds to “a Good Mother.”
I. A Good Mother Is Proven In Motherhood Itself, Regardless Of A Woman’s Past. vs.16)
A. Setting: King Solomon was holding court, settling issues among His people. Two women of disrepute, prostitutes, had made their way to stand before the king to settle a pressing issue between them. This is a most unlikely beginning to a story about motherhood, but I believe we discover a clear lesson on the distinction between two different types of mothers.
B. A Primary lesson for us here is that you cannot judge a person’s worth simply by the mistakes they may have made in their pasts. We must note that God is willing to bless people in order to give them a chance to repent and walk with Him.
II. A Good Mother Is Motivated Out Of Honest Gratitude For Her Child. (vss. 17-2)
Three lessons on the difference between the good mother and the less good mother.
- The first lesson is, we must begin by trying to commend both women, at least in part.
- The second lesson is, might discover that each mother had different motivations for keeping her child.
- The third lesson is, that a loving mother will fight for her child regardless of what it might cost her, (vs. 28)
III. A Good Mother Is Pleasing To God. (vvs. 23-25)
Being a mother who raises a child with love and acceptance and is willing to suffer anything for the good of the child blesses the heart of the Almighty.
IV. A Good Mother Loves Her Child More Than She Loves Herself. (vss. 26-27).
Three lessons from this passage:
- A good mother is willing to die to her own desires so her child can live and prosper. She will lay aside her own rights to ensure the rights and well-being of her baby.She will give her child up if it will save him or her.
- A less than good mother will seek her own desires over the well-being of her child.
- It does not take long for a mother to reveal her true colors to anyone paying attention.
For all mothers today, I can assure you God loves you and desires to touch your heart with His guidance for life. And it is from that hope I am able and willing to wish you all a very happy Mother’s Day.